Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Welcome Home

Okay! That was a longer absence than expected.

Archimedes Thomas Matthews Lee was born at 7:31 a.m. on February 18, 2012. He weighed 7 pounds and 10 ounces and was 21 inches long.

He also had his umbilical cord wrapped twice around his neck, and he wasn't breathing when he came out. My wife had to have an emergency C-section after the heart monitor detected some worrying symptoms (we'd been planning on a natural childbirth). Archie had dangerously low blood sugar and suffered several apnic seizures during his first hours of life. However, he pulled through it thanks to the swift and skillful responses of the doctors and nurses in the NICU, and right now he's off of all of his IVs and medication (except a maintenance dose of phenobarbitol, pending a second EEG on Friday). He is eating well and thriving; we expect him home next Tuesday. (It would be sooner except for that follow-up EEG and a short observation period to see if he has any reaction to going off the phenobarbitol completely.)

It could have been much worse. As it stands, it was kind of a rough couple of days.

But now I am back to dance for your entertainment and edification. You may resume throwing coins (or just buy some copies of "Splinters of Silver and Glass" for your friends and family; hey, we're going to be short half of our income for a couple of months here!)

It's nice to be back.

(Here is a photo set of Archie during his first few days, for those of you who are interested and have not already seen them.)


Grayson said...

First off, congratulations to you and your wife, Nathan!

I'm so sorry to hear you had to go through that incredible stress and fear and panic and worry and.... And an emergency c-section: UGH. I know how disappointing that must feel after planning something much nicer.

I hope the last of the worrisome events is over and soon you'll all three be home and happy!

Jedediah said...

Welcome, Archie :) And congratulations to your parents!
I'm glad things turned out well.

Scattercat said...

Thanks, guys. We're carrying on; at this point, the NICU nurses seem pretty confident that Archie isn't in any serious danger, so they mostly leave us alone, even when the monitoring leads fall off while we're trying to move him around and the machines beep angrily.